Sunday Morning, 5 July, 1942 - Plan for Hiding/ Preparing to go into hiding | ANNEFRANKSTORY PAGE 9



Dear Kitty

Our examination results were announced in the Jewish Theater last Friday. I couldn’t have hoped for better. My report is not at all bad, I had one vix satis, a five for algebra, two sixes, and the rest were all sevens or eights. They were certainly pleased at home, although over the question of marks my parents are quite different from most. They don’t care a bit whether my reports are good or bad as long as I’m well and happy, and not too cheeky; then the rest will come by itself.



I’m just the opposite; I don’t want to be a bad pupil. I should really have stayed in the seventh form in the Montessori School, but was accepted for the Jewish Secondary. When all the Jewish children had to go to Jewish schools, the headmaster took Lies and me conditionally after a bit of persuasion. He relied on us to do our best and I don’t want to let him down.




My sister Margot has her report too. Brilliant as usual. She would move up with cum laude of that existed at school, she is so brainy.



Daddy has been at home a lot lately, as there is nothing for him to do at business; it must be a rotten to feel so superfluous. Mr. Koophius has taken over Travies and Mr. Kraler the firm Kolen & Co.


When we walked across our little square together a few days ago, Daddy began to talk of us going into hiding. I asked him why on earth he was beginning to talk of that already.



“Yes, Anne”, he said. “You know that we have been taking food, clothes, and furniture to other people for more than a year now. We don’t want our belongings to be seized by the Germans, but we certainly don’t want to fall into their clutches ourselves. So we shall disappear of our own accord and not wait until they come and fetch us.”



“But, Daddy, when would it be?” He spoke so seriously that I grew very anxious.
“Don’t you worry about it, we shall arrange everything. Make the most of your carefree young life while you can.”



That was all. Oh, may the fulfillment of these somber words remain far distant yet!


Yours, Anne




<<Prev.Story                                                                                                      Next Story>>

No comments: